Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chivalry is Dead

It appears to me, these days, that the fine art of chivalry is dead. I'm talking about when men treat you like a lady, i.e. opening doors for you, holding out your seat, assisting you out of the car, etc. All of this seemed to be normal everyday occurrences until the 60's (?) when the women's lib. movement decided that women could have everything that men have and do everything for themselves without any assistance.

I beg to differ.

I cannot tell you how many elderly and pregnant women I've seen wanting a seat on the train (BART for you Bay Area folks), and plenty of able-bodied men sitting in perfectly good seats, but unwilling to give up their comfort for a few stops.

I swear, one day I'm going to go off at some guy and put him in his place. I almost did yesterday. The kids and I had to return something at Kohl's and afterwards I decided to treat them to a cookie at Starbuck's (and Mommy definitely earned a Frappucino!). I had Michael and Jakob in the double stroller (which I affectionately call "The Boat") and Sarah was walking next to me. As we get up to the door, Sarah was a very good girl and tried to open the door for Mommy. Unfortunately, she's not too coordinated and ended up stubbing her toe while opening the door. At the same time I'm also trying to hold open the door and push the one-ton stroller through. All this while, there is a man, I'd guess in his 50's, sitting at a table right next to the door, watching this whole ridiculous scenario...AND DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HELP! He looked perfectly able to get up off his butt and hold the door open but preferred to just watch me struggle.

LISTEN UP GUYS: Women appreciate, heck, we WANT you to treat us nicely!! Please, go out of your way to hold open doors, hold out our seats, stand up when we leave the table, bring us flowers, etc., etc., etc.! We might be a lot less witchy and bitter and in turn treat you nicely.

Okay...rant over.

2 comments:

  1. I try to only venture into Kohl's alone. Although, on the rare occasion that I do get about alone, I end up spending way too much time at the store, even the grocery store!

    Anyway, good post. I totally agree. Poor Sarah! Lame guy!

    Does Paul stand up when you leave the table? Liam would be up and down a lot, because I am always getting up at dinner to get something for one of the kids: drink, napkin, etc.

    Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Paul doesn't stand up when I leave the table...like you, I'm up and down a lot at dinner. However, when I was at college I was at a dance and my date (who was very well mannered) did stand up and it threw me off guard! Paul does hold doors open for me and other things, so this post does *not* apply to him!

    ReplyDelete